Trying to eat tofu without marinating for hours to mask the taste, is kinda hard. I love tofu, but it can get pretty bland. This recipe is quick (about 45 minutes altogether), easy and has very few ingredients (mainly because we don’t have many ingredients!).
There are a plethora of vegan tofu nugget recipes online (google them, there will be lots!) but I wanted one that was quick and cheap. Although I didn’t find the recipe I was looking for, I did get some good inspiration.
· extra firm tofu, drained
· milk (soy, almond – but one that won’t overpower the taste)
· breadcrumbs (I used Shreddies! but any kind of crumbs will do)
· a few sprigs of parsley (or dried parsley)
(· any other spices you want: onion/garlic powder, allspice, nutmeg, etc.)
Preheat oven to 350F
1. Drain your tofu and cut into “nugget” size pieces.
2. Blend Shreddies, dried bread, etc. with parsley, cinnamon and other spices. Dip tofu pieces in milk (you can kind of taste the milk after they cook – it just soaks into the tofu, so make sure you choose one that won’t alter the taste too much), then coat with crumbs.
3. Place on cookie sheet and bake for about 25-30 minutes, keeping an eye on them the last ten minutes or so.
You can flip them if you like, but I didn’t and they turn out just as good.
Perfect for a snack (which is how we ate them tonight) or as part of a meal! I’ll definitely have to make them again with garlic or onion, just to mask the taste a bit more, but this recipe turned out great and it was really quick!
Enjoy your Friday & weekend!