The main reason I made this blueberry pie was because I ran out of apples. I also had a TON of blueberries. This pie is seriously good for only having a few ingredients – not to mention it’s healthy, vegan, quick to prepare (AND it can be eaten raw or cooked!).
Vegan Blueberry Pie
· blueberries – enough to fill your pan/pie plate (I used a pie plate and about 3 cups of blueberries) + 1 cup to mix
· oats – for the pie crust, I used about 1 cup of oats
· dates – for the crust/mixture, about 1 cup
· Blend dates and 1 cup of blueberries until smooth (you could also add 1/2 a banana if you have one on hand and to add extra sweetness). This mixture will be used for the crust, filling and topper.
· Mix a small amount of the mixture with the oats, adding more as needed, until oats are coated. Press into bottom of pie plate.
· Either mix the remaining date mixture with the rest of the blueberries or spoon over top – helps to stick the blueberries together when slicing.
* If you want to add a topping, leave a tablespoon of the mixture aside, cut with oats and crumble over top.
· Bake in the oven at 325F for 20-30 minutes or until crust is cooked.
* This pie is also great raw and holds together well after refrigerating for a few hours or freezing about 40 minutes.
Play around with this recipe: it’s really hard to mess up – just keep an eye on it while it’s in the oven and bake it at a lower temperature than you would a regular pie.
Have a great Thursday!