Bananas are full of potassium, fiber and very low in fat and cholesterol. Plus they taste great and work well in baked goods as a substitute for eggs. (1 mashed banana = 1 egg)
But, bananas are also excellent to use for DIY face & body treatments. They are very nourishing for the skin and rich in Vitamin A, B & E, contributing to anti-aging.
Try these tips and see what a difference bananas can make!
- Rub a banana peel on your face to moisturize and tighten skin.
- Blend bananas into a puree and use as a facial. Leave on 10-30 minutes, rinse.
- Use puree as a hair treatment, leave on hair for 20-30 minutes, rinse and wash with mild shampoo, if needed.
- Can also mix with olive or coconut oil, leave for 15-25 minutes and rinse out.
Adding bananas to homemade body wash and scrubs is an easy way to get an extra moisturising factor and can help tighten skin.
Mix bananas and oatmeal, massage on skin, leave for ten minutes and rinse.
- Mash and spread on feet, leave for 40 minutes.
- Don’t throw out black or overripe bananas, throw them in the freezer and use in baking, smoothies or DIY products.
- Put frozen bananas in the microwave for 15-30 seconds, cut the end off and they should slip right out – rather then trying to peel the frozen skin off.
- The peels are also said to naturally heal psoriasis.
- Rub the inside of the peel on dull looking plant leaves.
- Also great for composting, gardens.
Heartburn while eating bananas?
They’re not ripe enough! If you eat a banana that is as yellow as the ones in these pictures, you are bound to get heartburn (or are more susceptible to it). A banana needs to have brown spots before properly consuming; when they turn brown the starch in the fruit is turning into sugars, making it easier to digest and reducing the chance of getting heartburn.
[I’ve never experienced this or heartburn, in general – if I’m being honest. A friend I lived with for years mentioned to me his heartburn issues with bananas. As I only eat brown bananas, I mentioned this idea to him and he concluded brown bananas may be better. He never experienced heartburn again after eating the banana brown – and this was a constant kind of thing – before, he couldn’t eat bananas at all without experiencing heartburn.]
Try these tips, eat some ripe bananas and enjoy your Tuesday!